liquidfractal

checking for posts in specific forums/categories

I have a forums category which holds password-protected forums for individual Tutor Clients so I can discuss their work with them.

Since it is not possible to Follow password-protected forums, I am trying to use Rules to email me a notification whenever one of my tutor clients posts in their individual forum.  I can narrow the Rule down to whether it's in forums or not (post or comment), but I run into problems when I try to specify the Category and/or the individual forums to check.

The Condition which is supposed to check for specific forums/categories asks for two things: the Select Container to Check menu has a menu with all categories, subcategories and forums; I assume they want the category so I specify the category here.  The next menu is Check for Any of These Forums, so I specify all the forums in the category.

When I debug the rule, the forums check is OK but the sub-condition craps out as follows:

forumsruleerror.thumb.jpg.593958ebce3e9940b336697510a9256d.jpg

So it doesn't like something about either the "Container" selected or the forums.  Why isn't it possible to just select a Container and have the rule automatically check every forum in that Container?  That would be much more logical and timesaving than specifying each forum - not to mention they're both mandatory, which I find a bit confusing.

Either way, if I am just misunderstanding what a "container" is, or if there's a more direct workaround for something like this, any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Try this...

First create a rule set.

First rule:

Event: Topic has been created

condition:  content is in specific forum

Select your password protected forum

Second rule:

Event: Topic Comment has been created

condition:  content has a particular author

Those both evaluated true when I tried with a user on my testing site.  You'll probably have to make a separate rule for each client.

You can add a separate action rule or add it onto the second rule.

This might need more testing, but it appears to work (condition wise).

Edited by Bluto

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.