JoelR

Rules 1.4.6 Disabled in Marketplace

We were informed by IPS that they have too many support requests for bugs in apps which are exposed by rules and its core level integration with the IPS system.

Apparently, the solution to is to disable rules from being purchased so that less bugs get exposed and therefore cross their support desk?

None of it really makes sense, but rules was picked as a scapegoat by their support staff apparently to reduce support load.

Since the LITE 10 rules version is free and still available and downloadable, it must be all those people who have 11+ rules that are opening too many support tickets.  O.o

Edited by Bluto

I mean, if you're going to build rules, you're going to build a lot of them.  

I *was* using rules for a trophy system but I was concerned about the performance imipact, but I keep the app updated.  

I believe Adriano (might have spelled that wrong) had a app disabled by IPS.  He wrote a long paragraph in the thread about not supporting the app any longer because of IPS flagging the app for some reason.  I moved that app to my inactive / non-supported folder.  More money wasted on apps.

As of two days ago, Adriano's post was deleted and the app was available for purchase again and supported by Adriano.  Not sure what happened, but it appears that IPS flip flopped on their decision.

I've also been seeing other apps / plugins which aren't available for sale any longer.

Sure, IPS has the right to flag whatever they want on their site.  What I don't particularly care for is targeting quality developers - guys who know what's going on, like Kevin.

I would love to see all the developers get together and form a software store off the IPSs site - solo site, codecanyon, etc.  As far as I'm concerned, IPS is needed for only 1 thing, core.

It would be interesting to see someone create a forum, commerce, blog, and gallery app to compete with IPS offerings.  Of course, at that point, they'd probably come up with some other rule which benefits them and strays out of the philosophy of a modular approach where 3rd party developers contribute unhindered to the ecosystem.  As mentioned above, this can obviously be done off the IPSs site, something I hope will happen in the future.

Edited by Bluto

20 minutes ago, Bluto said:

Sure, IPS has the right to flag whatever they want on their site.  What I don't particularly care for is targeting quality developers - guys who know what's going on, like Kevin.

That sounds good on principle, but none of us are aware of the ramifications of Kevin's Automation Rules app which does probably hook into core parts of the software, perhaps in unsafe or non-recommended manners.  Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done, and Automation Rules allows anything to essentially trigger and action in the community.  I'm not aware of the specific problems of the Automation Rules, but I'm sure Kevin can reach out to discuss areas of improvement to meet IPS guidelines.  

24 minutes ago, Bluto said:

I would love to see all the developers get together and form a software store off the IPSs site - solo site, codecanyon, etc.  As far as I'm concerned, IPS is needed for only 1 thing, core.

I don't ever see that happening.  A lot of MP developers barely get enough visibility as is in the Marketplace.  Shifting things to a non-Invision site will drop the traffic off tremendously.  

I hear what you're saying in this particular case, Rules is quite complex.

I think codecanyon.net would give any IPS app / plugin way more exposure then the IPS site.  If people started listing their mods there, the word would catch on.  I've spent thousands on both codecanyon.net and themeforest.net and they sell a ton of Wordpress plugins.  I'll agree that a solo site would take awhile to gain traction, if it gained traction at all.

I hope everything works out in the end.  Rules is a GREAT app and very powerful.  It would be a shame to see the development stop.

All of the Kevin's Applications could be sold directly on his own website (ipsguru.net), together with the IPS marketplace and any other stores. I know some of the ips third-party developers who do in this way: codingjungle.com as an example.

I believe, it will be if not very profitable, but at least stable, independent and convenient as for Kevin's customers, as for himself, I think.

@Kevin Carwile, I think we definitely need an answer here. I know that you ignored previous topics about future of Rules, fair enough, but right now this is not a discussion about the future, but the present. If you have some ideas to get out of this gridlock, please share, if we need to look for other solutions - also please advise. The worst you can do is leave us hanging in no mans land. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.